Sunday, November 15, 2009

just a thought for mom

I have been catching up with friends and family, which made me think. You know we all (ladies) seem to want to change something about ourselves. I am about change for me, but why is it when we lose weight or start feeling better about how we look, we wear less? I read a book that I would recommend. It is called, "Dressing for the Lord", by David Cloud. I found it enjoyable and up to date (with great Biblical truths).
I get nervous when we, as children of the Lord, find guidance from the world's standards acceptable. We listen to their "Christian-words-to-a-worldly-beat", and say it has "blessed" us. We quote from these songs more than we quote the Bible. We allow our children to watch stuff on TV that we "amen" against on Sunday and wonder why we are dealing with rebellious children, who don't want to go to church. We don't lead by example mom.
We worry about being friends with our kids instead of being their parent. I would rather have my children raised with love and security, than worried if they will be my friend. I know that our relationship, as mother and child will be blessed, if I obey the Lord in my parenting and they obey (not befriend) the authority placed over them. It breaks my heart when parents say, "well if the child wants to" or "I don't push because I don't want them to hate church." Really, how about stopping them from jumping off a bridge-even if they want to.
The reason our children find things like, church things, Christian guidelines, and Biblical standards hard to follow is that we as adults do not have the right heart attitude (or example) toward them ourselves. If mom and dad go home and "have" pastor, youth director, or Sunday school teacher "for lunch" (in that gossipy, not-invited-to-lunch sort of way), than how will our children learn Godly respect?
Do we teach or daughters how to be submissive wives--or to be a "liberated" woman. What is wrong with being a women--dressing and acting like one? The world says we are door-mats if we take on the role of help-mate. Do we show our sons how their wives are to respect them? Do our actions teach them how to be the loving head of the house? Or do we make our husbands look weak, and do a disservice to our boys, who should be learning from the Bible.
Just a thought or two--our children are watching--what are we teaching? Hopefully that the Bible is to be our guiding light and a right example from their parents (both should be mutually supporting of each other)!!

No comments: