Friday, June 20, 2008

Who ordered Pizza?

I enjoy making cakes but I'm such a novice. I have 2 friends, Cindy S and Jen K, who put what little talent I have to shame. They actually gave me the 'cake-making-bug'. Although it's not too good for the diet I do enjoy making cakes...it gives me a sense of accomplishment!

So today, I made Philip's birthday cake because we are having an Ice Cream Social get together at our church tonight and so not to have tons of cake at the house, he asked me to make it to share on Friday. I got the idea from a TV show and Philip loved it. I made the cake from scratch, using a Splenda cookbook. The frosting is ALL BAD (I mean real sugar bad!) and the candies are royal icing--which cracked, but I think it gave it some definition and a little bit of realism. For example, the mushrooms do not stand out noticeably like the fondant 'green peppers' but they are there as you can see in this closeup. To cap it all off, Martin went a got a pizza box from Noble Romans to add an authentic flair. Other than this cake not much going on for the day... so I figured I'd just show you what I made.

Have a great day in the Lord, my friends!!

5 comments:

Pam--in Jerusalem said...

That cake looks awesome! You did a really good job on it.
Happy Birthday to Philip!

The Girls said...

I also enjoy making cakes But I could NEVER in my LIFE do something that GOOD.
Great Job!!!!!
Happy Birthday Philip, and have FUN!!!!!
Krystle.

Jenny P. said...

Kim the cake is amazing and you did a great wonderful job. Happy Birthday Philip.

liz said...

That is soooooo cute! You did a great job. I'm sure he loved it!

Heather said...

You did awesome!! This must be a big cake making season for everyone...it's not helping my eating habits any ;)