Thursday, June 12, 2008

Diet run down


I have appreciated your concerns for our weight-loss progress so far and I should have probably mentioned this program that we are using earlier to alleviate any unneeded concerns. So let me share a bit of detail about this specific weight loss program, both Martin & I, are doing. It is the "Michael Thurmond's 6 week body makeover." So it really is not a diet, in a sense, I guess it would be more of a lifestyle change and breaking of our bad eating habits. The program helps you see what body type you are. I am a type A and Martin is a C. This means our bodies metabolize different foods differently. (I know you are thinking, "I know that") Where the issue comes in is that people don't pay attention to what they eat when. This program takes out all the refined sugar, crazy dairy fats and all the salt from your daily diet. The dairy comes back in 6 weeks but only very moderate amounts. We cook/season with Splenda and/or Mrs. Dash (or a similiar non-sodium seasoning). You combine your meals and watch your measurements and you eat! We eat 6 times a day, 5 if we forgo evening snack..which I don't do,unless I really am not hungry--and that happens. You also get a customized exercise routine, that you do 2 times a week and it only takes 18 minutes--30 if you have Elisabeth. ;) Then you do Cardio 3 times a week (optional but recommended--get out and walk, enjoy the fresh air). Oh, you also must drink 100 oz of water! Yes, water--unflavored, it's good for you and your body needs it. So this is it in a nut shell. I am not leaving anything out of my diet and feel great--except for the cravings that happen sometimes--maybe I should stop watching the Food Network. :) The boys eat the meals with us at night. I am getting them into watching their portions and eating healthier. Having the fruit and veggies in the house for snacks helps them too. I will share a meal with you that we had tonight...if you want try it and tell me what you think.

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

Ingredients:
1 lb.ground turkey
2 green onions, chopped(green only)
1 1/2 Tbs. fresh ginger, grated
1/2 tsp. black peper
2 egg whites
8 oz. can pineapple chunks in natural juices ( no sugar added)
1/4 cup Splenda brown sugar substitute
1/1/2 Tbs. cornstartch (Optional--not on the plan)
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 green peper, cut in very thin strips

Directions:
1. In large mixing bowl, mix turkey, green onions, ginger, black pepper and egg whites together throughtly.

2.Shape mixture into 1" balls and place on cookie sheet that's been lightl sprayed with non-fat cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. (You may have to cook longer..Use a meat reader to make sure they are done.)

3. Stain pineapple, saving liquid in a measuring cup. Add water to juice to make 1 cup of liquid.

4. In non-stick skillet, combine juice, brown sugar substitute, cornstarch, vinegar and green peppers over medium heat. Stir constantly, until sauce begins to thicken, about 4 minutes. Now it says to add the meatballs and pineapple to the sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. I didn't for I don't like soggy meatballs. So just added the sauce to the meatballs when ready to serve.

So I had 3 meatballs, 2 cups of veggies and 1/2cup sticky rice--boy was it great!! (and filling)

We are eating more by eating more often, but we are eating the right portions and we're filling up and still the pounds are coming off! I do moderate exercise and Martin does none and yet the fat is being burnt. This jumpstarting or repairing of our metabolism is amazing and refreshing after all the special diets that we've tried, from the 'buy/eat only our food' or those 'eat only such-n-such' or the 'eat nothing but such-n-such' diets. Understanding that we can eat real, tasty, easy food is helpful and encouraging and watching the weight come off just in this week alone is motivating! Martin has written more about it at his new blog (Martin's Mumblings) and compares it to the other 'programs' he was involved with or participated in while in the military.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Love all of you and your concern. I hope this helps in the understanding of the program. I think I am only losing so much weight this week because I am adding good and getting rid of the bad. Thanks for loving me!!

Jenny P. said...

Kim love you lots hun and sounds good to me. I know how it feels to have people question what you do but they will learn and hopefully if they need it join in too. i think th ehardest part for me is that the boys are still young and dont understand why we cant have french fries all the time. Or for me since I dont eat any sweets at all I dont buy it. It was hard but it gets easier over time.
Take care hun and still here if you need me.

Kimberly said...

Thanks Jen P. you inspire me and I do admire the fact that you have lost so much and kept it off. Elisabeth is my natural healthy eater..she'd rather have an apple and grapes to junk food any day. The boys--well let's say they are learning. ;) I am glad to have you and everyone else for support. The Lord truly has blessed with all the friends He has put in my life over the years. I have and am learning so much from all of you! Love ya!